Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Our trip to Heaven, by way of Hell

Remember how in my last post I said that in the temple Heaven and Earth touched? Well after I had Charlie I realized that the hospital was another place where heaven and earth met. People coming and going all the time. Giving birth is like nothing I've ever experienced. The euphoria that washes over you when you pop that baby out is out of this world.

Before I get off topic here is the "birth story"...

Not gonna lie this labor kind of sucked.

Yesterday morning from 3am-630am I had regular contractions. We were about to head to the hospital when they fizzled out. I've had on again off again labors all week!

We decided to take a walk around the hospital  (10:00am) and see if they came back. Figuring that I was already at a 4 they'd admit me. We were so done with the stop and go labor.... and pregnancy all together!

Took a long walk, did some flights of stairs. Exhausted and defeated we decided to go to lunch before Wyatt went to work. We ate lunch then drove home. On our way home I had 3 good painful contractions we went back to the hospital to try our luck.

1230pm get to the hospital and to triage. Nurse checks me and I'm 4cm and 70% effaced. Gives us 1.5 hr to walk the hospital then check progress. Come back after walking for literally 1.5hr, so exhausting. Checks again and I'm 4.5cm and 80% effaced,  she decided to "irritate my uterus and see if that shakes things up" omg it felt like getting my membranes stripped it hurt so bad. After an hr of walking again my dr shows up and checks and strips my membranes, yikes! Tells me I have to go home because I didn't make it to 5cm. (4pm)

Go home take a nap then at 8:30pm I have super strong painful contractions. Go back to the hospital and beg for pain meds. I get breaks between my contractions and I was exhausted from walking all day.

Nurse says that if I've progressed in an hr she'll ask the dr. I say, no, now! I explain that I don't progress without pain meds/epidural because I can't relax. Finally 30 min later I get morphine 🙌🏽. She checks me 30 min after and I'm at at a 5 and admits me.

I get admitted (10ish pm) and tell the nurse I need the epidural ASAP. The anesthesiologist says he's just down the hall and walking over. 30 min later he shows up. Lies! He wasn't down the hall!! I get my epidural and it doesn't feel right. But it blocks most of the pain. I still feel little twinges on the right side of my body but figure it will just take time.

Take a nap and wake up to full on contraction pain on my right side. I call the nurse to tell her to call anesthesiologist. She hesitates and Wyatt says "call now, my wife is in pain". 🙌🏽 she calls and thank heavens because the left side wore off too. 20 min of full on labor pains without being able to get up and walk around during contractions.

Anesthesiologist says stronger medicine might help. I say "I think it needs to be placed again. He agrees to do a new epidural. He gives me strong meds and it all kicks in. Hooray! (3:30am ish?) currently dilated to 6cm.

Take a quick nap and at 5am ish nurse checks me and I'm at a 9! Around 20 min later I throw up (never happened in my other labors) 10 min later I throw up again. I push 3 times baby is out! Hand me the baby and I throw up again 😩. He was born at 5:39am 

As you read, this labor was not the easiest. I have never thrown up with any of my other labors and I've never had to get an epidural placed twice. But my three pushes at the end were a piece of cake and I had no significant tearing! I got a stitch for the tiniest of tears, but a stitch, that's it! Wahoo!

My time spent in the hospital with Charlie was so dang special. Literally time stands still when you are in the hospital with your new baby. You don't have to worry about bills, texts, cooking, cleaning, or even other children! Just you and the new baby. I kind of wished I had spent more time there, but in the back of my mind I figured my mom was dying with my kids. So guilt dictated that we come home. Once you leave the hospital that time of soaking in your baby is gone. You have other things to put up with, I remember having my first disagreement with someone after Charlie was born. I was like, what is this?! I literally haven't felt these feelings in ages (ages being a few days) because I was basking in newborn heaven. I'm glad I got some pictures of our time in the hospital. Our trip to heaven to pick up our little nugget.

Seeing as how it was the weekend I was worried I wasn't going to get tea time. But lo and behold Gilbert Mercy delivered! 

A room with a view. Wyatt told me that we could see the temple from our window. Somehow this slipped through the cracks of my mind and i didn't notice the view until right before we were about to leave. 

The two places heaven and earth meet 

My favorite picture

*I GOT TO RING THE BELL! Back when I had Sammy someone else was responsible for ringing the bell. But now, parents ring the bell when they go from Labor and Delivery to Couplet Care. Adorable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment